[Archived - MaxSMoke777] Why is my item blinking on and off like a defective Neon sign???

Posted about 2 months ago by Community

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Un Answered
C
Community Admin

Posted by “MaxSMoke777” on July 23, 2024.

[Archived]

Here's a video to show what's happening....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tN8EopxLRs

As you can see, for NO REASON AT ALL, my item just blinks in and out of existence. I've tried every form of transparency, depth filtering, it doesn't seem to matter. I even removed the transparency entirely, and it still blinked wildly.

I just took the time to import the whole thing into IMVU Classic, one resource at a time, and it works FINE. No issues, other then IMVU Classic's persistent transparency clipping problem. Otherwise, fine.

This is DEFINITELY a Studio issue. Here's the second version I just made....

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=68296063

0 Votes

4 Comments

Sorted by
C

Community posted about 2 months ago Admin

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on July 25, 2024.

[Archived]

Thanks for the digging! I will pass this along to the engineer who is assigned to this issue.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “MaxSMoke777” on July 25, 2024.

[Archived]

Yup, I moved the underground bits closer to the avie's feet, and the blinking issue stopped. Something changed in the engine that causes it to only look at the starting position of polygons to judge when it should/shouldn't be clipping the polys. It doesn't factor into their morph positions, so it doesn't know that those hidden polygons will be VERY visible during the course of the animation.

Even with the polygons closer to the feet, if I zoom in enough and tilt upwards, blocking the starting position of the polygons which are now in full view because of the animation, I can start it blinking again.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “MaxSMoke777” on July 25, 2024.

[Archived]

Initially I thought it might be related to particles, the artificial rim, transparency priority/masking/depth-buffer, I even made another completely different draft to see if it was just a file system bug. No matter what I did, it still blinks.

In IMVU Classic, it works just fine.

-------

I just noticed that it does only happen when you zoom in (I rarely ever zoom out). This makes me think it's a polygon culling issue. The initial starting point for the morph of the energy bits is way underground.

It looks like, if I move the object up, even while zoomed in, I can stop the blinking.

So the engine might look at the starting point of the morph, way underground, and assume it can always cull those polygons based on that starting location, without looking at the object over it's various morphs.

The polygons for the crown remain at a consistent location, so they are unaffected.

This has to be something new added to the engine, because I use this "Hide underground" trick all the time. This might mean that many of my objects are now blinking and I just haven't noticed yet...

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on July 24, 2024.

[Archived]

Hi @MaxSMoke777​, I have had a look at your PID and it seems to be related to the fact that the morph animation is affecting both the avatar and the the product. As soon as I remove the bits of the morph animation that affect the avatar, the blinking stops. I will need to write up a bug ticket and work with an engineer on this one.

UPDATE: Does not seem to be related to the morph animation effecting the avatar and the product mesh. It seems to only start occurring once the camera is zoomed. Rotate and pan are okay, but zoom starts the blinking. I have written up a bug ticket.

0 Votes