Posted about 2 months ago by Community

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Un Answered
C
Community Admin

Posted by “Insoo” on February 04, 2024.

[Archived]

Hello, I've been encountering two main issues while attempting to import the default female head from Blender to IMVU Studio.

Problem 1: Scaling Issue with the Head

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Duplicated "Clothing_Female_Head_1_5," renamed it as "head," and placed it in the "CLOTHING_EXPORT" collection.
  2. Exported the model with both "Clothing_Avatar_Armature" and "head" visible.
  3. Attempted to rescale the head bone in Pose mode in Blender. This seemed to work in Blender, but upon importing the resized head to Studio, it reverted to the original size.

I've tried various strategies, including renaming the head differently (e.g., "Head," "Head [2]," "Female Head," "Female_Head [2]"), and sometimes it worked, with Studio recognizing the head and applying the bone scale. However, these successes seem inconsistent, and the next day, the same approach did not yield same results. I also experimented with Ctrl+A > Apply Scale for both the head and Armature, but this did not seem to do much.

스크린샷 2024-02-04 오후 1.39.00스크린샷 2024-02-04 오후 1.40.23스크린샷 2024-02-04 오후 1.40.46 

Problem 2: Material Nodes Interpretation Issue

Referring to this tutorial by Katsbits, I learned that the Base Color setting in Blender corresponds to IMVU Studio's Diffuse. By default, all textures, including those for the head, eyes, and eyelashes, are linked to the base color. However, upon importing the head into Studio, it appears entirely white, necessitating the manual reconnection of textures.

스크린샷 2024-02-04 오후 1.51.16스크린샷 2024-02-04 오후 1.47.17 (1) 

These problems seem to persist despite various trials and errors, and I suspect there might be a crucial step I'm overlooking. FYI, I'm using the most recent versions of both Blender and IMVU Studio.

Any guidance or insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

0 Votes

5 Comments

Sorted by
C

Community posted about 2 months ago Admin

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on February 14, 2024.

[Archived]

@Insoo​, I have a few questions and to be honest I have done very little with avatar heads. For your questions:

Problem 1: My guess is that the head is not weighted to the the "head" bone and is therefore not being affected by the bone scaler.

Problem 2: For sure the material IDs need to be set correctly, head ID [2], eyes ID [3]. In addition to that I believe that the file names need to be specific: 'Female01_Anime01_head_default_020degrees.tga' and for sure 'eyes.tga' (even if the file format is something else such as PNG or JPG.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Insoo” on February 10, 2024.

[Archived]

This issue remains unresolved at the moment. Any additional insights or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “jazzKat” on February 05, 2024.

[Archived]

Hmm, jump on Discord, need to take a look at this as something doesn't seem right.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Insoo” on February 05, 2024.

[Archived]

Thank you for providing feedback. I followed your advice, but encountered new issues in the process.

Problem 1

I appended the Clothing file once more to export the head. I made sure not to rescale or modify any bones, and I named the mesh "Head [2]". But IMVU Studio still failed to recognize the mesh as a head, and the bone scale did not apply. Before exporting, I also tried unpacking images through File > External Data > Unpack Resources > Use files in the current directory, but got an error message that said "No packed files to unpack."

스크린샷 2024-02-05 오후 10.18.46스크린샷 2024-02-05 오후 10.19.06 

Then I experimented with the Head tool, but encountered additional problems, including "Problem 2" addressed earlier.

I discovered that when using the Head tool, renaming the mesh anything other than its default name, "Head_Avatar_Armature," prevented successful export. So I retained the default name and proceeded to File > External Data > Unpack Resources > Use files in the current directory. Despite consistently setting the gender option to "Female," upon importing the mesh into Studio, I noticed that all assigned textures were male textures, eventually necessitating a manual reconnection of textures again.스크린샷 2024-02-05 오후 10.12.12스크린샷 2024-02-05 오후 10.12.45 

I appreciate your continued support and welcome any further guidance on resolving these issues.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “jazzKat” on February 04, 2024.

[Archived]

Problem 1

I've not done a tutorial on using the Head tool yet but if you're wanting to export a custom head shape it's recommended that tool be used. With that said;

1) ✅️

2) ✅️

3) ❌️ changing the size of body parts by scaling bones should be done in Studio using the 'rescale' tool option, unless the mesh itself is being scaled (use Apply to fix changes in place) - you can change the size of the mesh itself but bones should remain untouched in Blender.

Based on what you're saying, yes, the material assigned to the head mesh should be named "Head [2]", BUT, Studio doesn't seem to treat material names quite the same way, which is why the white surface appears; Studio 'finds' the material but can't seem to find the texture associated with it, so renders those parts white. Stick with naming "Head [2]" BTW.

Problem 2

Looking at the material tree it looks like the objects you're exporting references 'packaged' assets; Blender can reference these because they're included in the *.blend file. For export you'll need to 'unpack' the images and/or reference (an)other images locally.

If you get stuck jump on Discord here https://discord.gg/dGUD2vx

0 Votes