[Archived - DiamondBones] go.imvu.com

Posted about 2 months ago by Community

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Un Answered
C
Community Admin

Posted by “DiamondBones” on February 06, 2024.

[Archived]

imagehttps://go.imvu.com/shop/product-27643499/

I'm guessing the reason why the exterior of this cup looks transparent/funky outside of the classic client is because the creator left or put an opaque white texture in the opacity material slot and activated the blending feature? Seen this issue in many other items, but I feel tired messaging each dev to ask them to repair it. I know it's an easy fix, it's just tiresome. I firstly don't understand why so many meshers put this in, but I see many creators follow along.

I could be wrong, left the product link, maybe it can be looked into.

Thx for everything,

Dia

0 Votes

11 Comments

Sorted by
C

Community posted about 2 months ago Admin

Posted by “DiamondBones” on February 08, 2024.

[Archived]

@jazzKat​ I'm gonna try to get my smarty teacher friend in here to see this... hopefully this can slowly chip away her shyness by teasing her curiosity, she loves meshing lol

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

@jazzKat 

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

No @Drosselmeyer​  I don't have a product ex, it was a discussion I seen at times and some friends tried explaining it to me long ago. It went along the lines of layering transparent materials ontop of eachother. If each of the Oppacity maps had the same types of transparency values, then they'd clip eachother, but if each were low enough where their combined total value was still bellow 100% black, then you could view each layer through eachother without clipping.

I have noticed on Classic that sometimes transparent products don't clip eachother when layered ontop of eachother, but when I reload the room, they do. I don't really understand that and I wonder if it has anything to do with the way imvu is made, like when Badges can be layered ontop of eachother depending on how old they are and if there's a duplicate page open with it.

I can give a product example of transparent layers that worked at first, but then failed for some reason.

Today, this is working lol imageThe inner wings are visible along with the inner rays, but the rays still clip the outside rays. And if I keep wearing this, eventually, the larger wings will completely hide the inner wings, which was why I later made a non transparent version of the inner wings.

IMVU Product: XMAS Wings SnowGlobe stu by DiamondBones

IMVU Product: XMAS Wings SnowCocoa 50% by DiamondBones

(some mehsers/creators don't mind adjusting their products and are happy to fix things, but many are... not in the best of moods to hear there's an issue. It's always a risk when messaging people we don't know, it's why many avoid it.)

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on February 08, 2024.

[Archived]

@DiamondBones​, Understood about having to ask meshers to adjust their products.

Regarding composite blending between the classic client and new apps, the two game engines handle transparency very differently. Some things will look better in client, others in Next.

Regarding "total value of grey blending". Not sure I understand your question. Do you have an example product I could check out?

Regarding Diamond VIP services to fix products, I can ask our team, but I suspect this is out of the scope of what we can offer. We have a very limited staff to support our creators.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “jazzKat” on February 08, 2024.

[Archived]

What @Drosselmeyer​ is basically saying is this; if you essentially 'combine' all your images into one AND include areas that are transparent within that - the cup AND liquid are part of the same image AND opacity - you increase the risk of this 'clipping'; you're got layers of transparency being rendered because the material is defining both transparent AND opaque areas. This needs to be avoided.

The fix generally is to separate transparent sections into their own distinct materials such that you end up with;

• cup (fully opaque diffuse only - NO transparency)
  • liquid (transparency only)

This then means the engine is rendering materials with respect to 'proper expectations' (so to speak).

As an aside, maybe you should use this as an excuse to learn Blender and make a proper cup of tea! ;)

0 Votes

C

Posted by “jazzKat” on February 08, 2024.

[Archived]

To get semi-technical... it probably works due to the way mesh/material data is organised under the hood in those old meshes (raw triangle/point/UV/image data). As we know, transparency doesn't always work as expected in Classic, which again relates to the way underlying mesh data is structured when created/exported/assembled (see sort order issues). Classic and Next using different rendering engines probably picks up on this, rendering 'good' Classic meshes properly, but others not so much! Using white opacity maps doesn't help though, heh!

0 Votes

C

Posted by “DiamondBones” on February 07, 2024.

[Archived]

pull through nicely**

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

lol @jazzKat​ What's the difference between this kind of blended layering and the ones that clip on classic yet pull through nightly on imvu's newer platforms? This is where I'm lost lol I thought the new apps conquered blending lol How did old grandpa classic beat it?

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

Thank you @Drosselmeyer​ . Most of us creators are humble, and only know how to paint a map and upload into the available material slot. This " The way to fix this would be to make a separate material using the same textures, but omit the opacity map, and apply that material to the cup and saucer." is beyond. I'm assuming it means to... + Material Slot, input the existing Map, but black out the sections that overlaps the other duplicate material ?

Also this product is old, most of the grandfathered creators are not interested in adjusting their products to help it work better on the new imvu apps, in fact they're usually quite offended by it. Personally, I'm scared to ask them to edit.

Another thing I'm confused about is normally, classic cannot overlap products that have "composite blending" activated, but the new imvu apps can, so why is this situation the opposite?

I'm also confused about having a total value of grey blending, where as long as the grey values all add up to below 100%, each layer will be visible ? I've been working along ignoring this, but is it needed to fix issues like this?

Also, would it be possible to convince you that maybe a way to make Diamond Vip more tasty to creators is if their customer services would be able to fix products like this on behalf of the creators who have subscribed to

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on February 06, 2024.

[Archived]

@DiamondBones​, You are correct about how this is set up. There is one material applied to the tea cup and saucer and there is an opacity map and the Transparency is set to Composite Blend (Blending enabled). In this case the creator is using the opacity map to make the "tea" in the cup semi-transparent however this will never sort correctly because the cup and saucer are blending against each other, as well as the inside and outside of the cup. :(. Good on them for trying to be efficient with their material usage. :) The way to fix this would be to make a separate material using the same textures, but omit the opacity map, and apply that material to the cup and saucer. Or just settle for opaque tea :D which actually would be fine in this case because the interior of the cup is a solid color.

tea

0 Votes

C

Posted by “jazzKat” on February 06, 2024.

[Archived]

Yup, as you highlight, it's because that white 'opacity' triggers the engine to treat surfaces as 'transparent' with no transparency.

Need a time machine to go back and neutralise the first person that published a product with that set up!

0 Votes