[Archived - MaxSMoke777]

Posted about 2 months ago by Community

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Un Answered
C
Community Admin

Posted by “MaxSMoke777” on March 14, 2023.

[Archived]

Player skin material settings don't work on custom heads. For instance, shine and reflection don't seem to make an appearance when I made a new skin and switch heads. The Diffuse is there, but the Shininess and Normal are not. I wasn't sure if I was imagining the problem with my Ghidorah skin, but with this blood skin it's as clear as day.

MaterialError

0 Votes

6 Comments

Sorted by
C

Community posted about 2 months ago Admin

Posted by “MaxSMoke777” on March 17, 2023.

[Archived]

So far I'm having some luck with both reloading the mesh, forcing material slots to re-appear that disappear on loading, as well as making a completely new material and forcing those mesh slots to use it. By doing so, often a few times until the settings "stick", I've been able to force Normal maps and Specular lighting on objects while still being able to swap out their underlying human skins. Here's an example of a special "Dragon" set I came up with by messing around....

IMVU Ghidorah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRLROKHeaKg

0 Votes

C

Posted by “ShopTina” on March 15, 2023.

[Archived]

A lot of creators are aware of this issue. For those who find the workaround we use, make up skins and tattoo skins to adapt the shine to an object or an item. Until it is properly fixed by staff, this is what we found to have work as creators.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on March 15, 2023.

[Archived]

Regarding skin and shininess: this is currently not supported. We have some backend work to do to make this work.

Regarding the "eyes" issue: this looks like the issue of Edit versus Derive. We have an active bug where some material textures are not showing up if you Edit the product, but show up fine if you Derive. I am curious if this is what is happening here.

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

Maybe that's not the problem. I just tried it again with another model and it had no effect. Gawd, this thing is completely RANDOM!

At least, when it does work in Studio, it appears to work fine on the Desktop Client. If I load up one that was just working in Studio, it will stop working as soon as Studio touches it. Once Studio loses the settings, it's like they never existed at all.

StudioError03Here you can see that the eyes are working wonderfully in the Desktop Client, but once loaded into Studio, it losses the eyes as well as the glossy settings.

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

I've had another problem with IMVU eye skins not appearing on custom heads. I found the old XRF and loaded it, and then eyes worked fine. I was even able to add a shine to the eyes that works on other eye skins. What I'm thinking is that when you develop internally at IMVU, you have this XRF in your folders, all ready to go. But when we developers pull that XRF down from the list, using the reference instead of loading an actual XRF, Studio just poops out. I've had it work in some instances, but not all. It's not carrying through the XRF reference like it should be.

A work around on the developer end is to just get the XRF you need out of the templates and load that. After that, it will load IMVU skins without a problem and you can even add new effects to the model that carry through to the skins.

Until this is fixed though, older IMVU body meshes won't accept new skin effects. It will force them back to no-shine, no-norm, no-glows. So if you put on a shirt with exposed arms, you'll lose that shine. This needs to get repaired or almost 20 years worth of legacy products, STILL actively being sold, will be buggy.

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

I was just checking, looks like it actually losses the settings with ANY body channel replacement. Put on a new shirt, the exposed arms lose the setting. New head, head loses the settings. New pants, legs lose setting.

I was able to put on some that was MADE by IMVU, which kept the settings. So your internal products don't mess with material settings, just all of us developers. >:P

And this isn't related to products being from Studio or Classic. That robot head in the middle is a Studio item, you'll notice the subtle reflections on the metal bits around the edges. Your internal tools seem to be working, but Studio can't make an object that'll hold those settings.

0 Votes