[Archived - Lexique] Can't edit or delete a derived particle system

Posted about 2 months ago by Community

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Un Answered
C
Community Admin

Posted by “Lexique” on February 11, 2023.

[Archived]

Hi! So I've taken some time to really get comfortable with the imvu studio particle generator.

Here's a product I created - I'm quite pleased with the particles. I set the product to derivable.

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=62570837

So I've tried to derive from this product. However, I can neither edit nor remove the particle system; I suppose I can set the opacity to a black square and start with a new one which rather defeats the purpose and I assume also maintains the weight of the hidden particle system.

Is this supposed to be this way? Is this a "feature?" or a "bug?"

Screenshot_20230211_102814

0 Votes

9 Comments

Sorted by
C

Community posted about 2 months ago Admin

Posted by “Lexique” on February 16, 2023.

[Archived]

Thank you @Drosselmeyer​ for responding, which I didn’t expect once I realized it was as expected, but I’m glad for the background. To me it’s just a configuration, but I guess it’s complicated enough that that’s what gives credence to making it uneditable upon derivation. So yes, I was only left with the option of dropping to an earlier derivation and reconfiguring every time which I found tedious lol. But I have to say it really helped me to learn the system.

On an interesting side note - if I create two simultaneous particle systems that are the same thing, they seem to work well together because evidently of the calculated randomness. However, when generating the icon, this is no longer the case. The particles only stack on top of each other. So to fix this I changed one of the systems to have one number different in the number of particles generated per second. Evidently not a bug to fix - just the way the icons are generated. I had bad luck with generating furniture icons of particle systems, so I’ll likely submit that as a separate post.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on February 15, 2023.

[Archived]

Hi @Lexique​, Just getting caught up on this thread.... If I have followed correctly here is some information which might help:

• For particle systems made in Classic Client the only option in Studio is to disable them if you do not want the particle system. You can change textures used by the particle system.
  • For particle systems made in Studio, we decided based on feedback from our creator community that it would be best not to allow derived products the ability to edit particle systems and that the only option would be to disable them if you do not want the particle system or change textures used by the particle system.
  • If you own the PID that the particle system was created in, then you can always edit that one unless it has been derived from. It is a convention of derivation that once a product is derived from it cannot be edited (unless you request a one time unlock).
    • You can also always do as 4u suggests ^^

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Lexique” on February 14, 2023.

[Archived]

Thank you @4u​ , I feel a bit ashamed that it didn't come clear to me that this was indeed the expected situation. I had edited a number of products and in my mind had been able to edit some that I'd derived, but upon reassessment I realize that I was wrong. But it's funny that scalers are exactly the same situation but they seem to be freely editable and I have availed myself of that convenience. To me these are the same thing. Both Scalers and Particle systems are just configurations, the particles are more complicated for sure and have materials, but those materials remain editable upon derivation. So in my mind they should be treated the same, but I understand that others would find it reasonable to treat them differently.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “4u” on February 14, 2023.

[Archived]

If someone deriving has the ability to see/ change your particle settings.. then why derive? Just open your product copy the settings and make new.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Lexique” on February 12, 2023.

[Archived]

my final comment lol - i am still not able to see the particle systems of these several products. but the problem i was having with product 62588731 was because the opacity had reverted to alpha test. and i got a studio update as i was trying to edit, and so it seems that the composite blend is "sticking". It doesn't fix the problem of not being able to see the particle system controls, but at least it means that i am not needing it anymore for this item.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Lexique” on February 12, 2023.

[Archived]

Ok, so what I mentioned in the previous text is not entirely the full picture. I derived from

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=62581805

And was able to edit the particle system for the new derivation, which is

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=62588731

However, after the fact, I decided I didn't like the way this particle system looked and wanted to tweak it. It's already published. So I opened the product for editing. And again, I cannot edit the particles, which is rather distressing. Because I'm not deriving a new product, I'm in fact editing a product that I've previously worked on and published. The particle system in the mother product is still editable.

I have Windows 11. To be sure all caches were cleared and to give the best possible environment, I uninstalled every instance of imvu on my computer and then got rid of the appdata roaming folders then rebooted and finally reinstalled. All this did was waste my time lol because nothing changed except I have less time.

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

After writing this... I realized that I had indeed derived from another product with a particle system I'd generated, and it had been (and still is) editable.

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=62581805

Both of these products are mobile display boxes, but from two different meshes. So I can see the issue must be tied to the mesh.

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

I tried to delete the xrf file associated with the particle system, but it wouldn't let me as it said it was in use. So I deleted it from the folder (I mean, why not try to blow up the world), and sure enough it blew up the item. I couldn't preview or save etc and it asked me to report. So I could only close and start over from the last saved point. I did figure out if I disabled the particle system, I could duplicate it. But I couldn't edit that system either.

0 Votes

C

[Archived]

The only thing on the right hand side is an "enabled" button which tells me that maybe it's a feature and not a bug. But if I were to disable the particle system would it remove the weight of it?

0 Votes