[Archived - DiamondBones] Will we eventually be able to adjust the strength of the Local Ambient feature?

Posted about 2 months ago by Community

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Un Answered
C
Community Admin

Posted by “DiamondBones” on January 19, 2023.

[Archived]

Local Ambient(doesn't show here, needed every second lol but I just unclicked and reclicked any of those buttons to show this bright to dark fade effect that displays the regular ambience and just how intense the local ambient is)

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=33053493

The rooms I usually like to use are normally quite small so there's not enough space to push furniture and poses away from the walls to get a less intense color bounce off pf them.

I really like having dark black walls. I've tried this room without the Local Ambient, and honestly, I like the idea of these shadows, seems to make my characters feel more rounded in a 3D way. It's just too strong. Not sure if I've asked about this before, can't remember!Local Ambient 2

0 Votes

1 Comments

C

Community posted about 2 months ago Admin

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on January 20, 2023.

[Archived]

@DiamondBones​ I spoke with our rendering engineer regarding the ability to add a slider to the local ambient. We are discussing it.

Here are some things to consider regarding how local ambient works:

• Local ambient uses a rendering of the room (with furniture) from the location of the seat the avatar is currently on. The local ambient is recalculated each time the avatar moves to a new seat. Local Ambient uses that rendering to compute the ambient light on the avatar in place of the Ambient Color (it is either local ambient or ambient color on the avatar only)
  • Lights that are in the room also affect the avatar (with local or color ambient)

Regarding the room you are working on:

• This room is dominated by a single white light which is blowing out the scene and this is what is causing the harsh shadowing on your avatar. If this light was lighter the shadows would be less strong.
  • Here is a visual of what is going on:

NOTE: You can use the 'Lights' visual aid to see where lights are located and what color they are. Yes, they are too small :D and they also disappear after a 'Preview' so you have to toggle them off and then back on :(

Note for this test all of the walls are black textures except the one behind the avatar.

Note the red of the Ambient Color on the back (shadowed) side of the railing and that there is no ambient showing in the wall. This is because the light is 100% white (too bright) and washing out all other light color.

lights_viual_aidThis is the same scene from the other direction. Note that with Local Ambient ON you get the color from the wall behind the avatar.

local_ambient_onAnd the same shot with Local Ambient OFF.

local_ambient_off

0 Votes