[Archived - DiamondBones] Why does Shininess make this Material dark?

Posted about 2 months ago by Community

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Un Answered
C
Community Admin

Posted by “DiamondBones” on November 01, 2022.

[Archived]

I'm confused by more than just this, but wanted to check for help before asking this mesher because I know they've got a lot to deal with irl.

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=61407400

Shininess Acts Dark

0 Votes

10 Comments

Sorted by
C

Community posted about 2 months ago Admin

Posted by “DiamondBones” on November 10, 2022.

[Archived]

Shininess Acts Dark 2BUT I still need to try the back and forth thing Lestat is mentioning below o,O

0 Votes

C

Posted by “LestatDeLioncourt” on November 06, 2022.

[Archived]

Yes, my Buddy @DiamondBones​ This project DOES weird things... ! I have proof :)

First, I am running the newest version of Studio and I have a a pretty hefty Windows 10 PC. Plenty of resources.

Here is what I have found and I am hoping someone can reproduce this besides myself.

Steps:

1. Open the PID for Derive. Change Material 05 to have a Shine of some kind. I noticed the shine has little showing on the default setting of 50.
  2. Touch the Reflection Settings and move it a little bit. Press Preview. The shine shows a lot! Put the Shine setting back on 50, press Preview. It shows about the same!
  3. Unassign the Shine Material, press Preview. Note the Shine goes away.
  4. Now the same add the Shine material again. Press Preview. Note you can no longer change the Shine Reflection Value. It is Greyed-Out

Notice the non-standard characters in the .XRF File. I believe this is the cause.

See this Short Hidden YouTube Video. https://youtu.be/2ACWKBHYEIg

I hope someone can reproduce these steps and find similar or the same...

Please Post back Here.

@Drosselmeyer​ 

0 Votes

C

Posted by “KozzWolf” on November 06, 2022.

[Archived]

@DiamondBones​ Do you have self illumination turn on for the hat materials? I tried it and it works fine, but soon I turned on self illumination the shine goes away.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “DiamondBones” on November 05, 2022.

[Archived]

@Drosselmeyer​ @LestatDeLioncourt​ I was using the light room from imvu, tried the darker version, still the same. Now I've tried it with the shiniest room I have and upped the shiny factor to the max (on exterior of pumpkin too for comparison), and still the same.

Vine Shine Gone 

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=53938380

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=53938393

(Oh can't get link the same way in Studio for this one... interesting)

https://www.imvu.com/shop/product.php?products_id=61055361

Is the shine thereon the vine but just so subtle that I don't notice it because it's not what I was expecting?

0 Votes

C

Posted by “LestatDeLioncourt” on November 04, 2022.

[Archived]

Yes, I see the Shine. I use the default darker room.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on November 03, 2022.

[Archived]

Yes. When I add a 50% gray shininess texture I see the shine. Oh, I am wondering if maybe the room you are using has no lights or very dark lights? I am using the default Studio light room (or dark room). Both have a set of 4 lights.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “DiamondBones” on November 03, 2022.

[Archived]

@Drosselmeyer​ I thought mine were jpg saved files since their file names end with .jpg unless you mean something else?imageThis is my basic one I always use as a tester, works fine on other items.

G3bToday the same thing happened (I also updated today and used a new derive, as well as the original green texture with just multiple shine ones of mine as a test). I then tried using a rainbow texture and noticed that it selected 1 part of my texture and stretched it all over that piece of the mesh (vine).

When you and @LestatDeLioncourt​ add a shine texture (like plain white) do you actually see a sheen passing over the vine when you tilt your camera view?

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Drosselmeyer” on November 02, 2022.

[Archived]

Hi @DiamondBones​, I was also not able to reproduce this. I did notice that your textures are missing the file name extensions (.jpg). I am not sure that this would be the cause of the problem.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “DiamondBones” on November 02, 2022.

[Archived]

It was freshly derived the first time, saved, not uploaded/edit. I used blue to make it more obvious for the recording, but I will try again later on a fresh day, maybe studio will behave differently after it's rested a bit.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “LestatDeLioncourt” on November 01, 2022.

[Archived]

I opened the product for derive and immediately added the Shine to to Material #5. It worked fine. Then removed it and put it back and it worked fine again... Confused.

I didnt use a Blue but I did try the default Green Duffuse and then tried a White Diffuse. No issues... I would derive it fresh (not from a Draft Copy) and save it as a new name. Try again?

0 Votes