[Archived - FlexFactor] I would like to understand why my texture animation is not working

Posted about 2 months ago by Community

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Un Answered
C
Community Admin

Posted by “FlexFactor” on July 04, 2023.

[Archived]

Hello all!

Here's whats puzzling me today:

I have turned a 30 frame 256x256 gif into a JPG sprite sheet that is 640x768, where each frame is 128x128. aka 5 frames wide and 6 frames tall.

The mesh that im using, has a 1:1 aspect ratio for the texture.

With this in mind, when i set these settings in the animation, it doesn't work. Im just experimenting with this, and im wondering why does the animation look uncentered and not working the way im intending it to?

Im attaching the textures im using, the intended gif in its 256x256 glory, and the results of my endeavours, which can be found uploaded on youtube HERE: https://youtu.be/ffNBX4q9A_o

if theres any animation pros out there that can explain to me what im misunderstanding or if theres something else happening in the back-end of the software that i need to be wary of, that would be GREAT!

PID of the product im deriving from: 60619019

0 Votes

4 Comments

Sorted by
C

Community posted about 2 months ago Admin

Posted by “FlexFactor” on July 16, 2023.

[Archived]

hello lestat, just following up, ive managed to get the animations smooth with 512x512 and 512x256 sprite sheets instead. it looked okay in my opinion so i did not opt for a larger size. i just finished adding particles which trigger on and off with actions and submitted to shop, thank you very much once again for your help!

0 Votes

C

Posted by “LestatDeLioncourt” on July 06, 2023.

[Archived]

I have used multiples of the power of two like 32x128 and it worked fine But... these were not animated nor larger than the 512x512. IDK, you are pioneering new ground :)

0 Votes

C

Posted by “FlexFactor” on July 06, 2023.

[Archived]

Hello Lestat, good to hear from you again and thank you for ur response

1) if im understanding correctly, it must be a POWER of 2 and not a multiple of it? so 640 and 768 are multiples of a power of 2 eg. 2^7 = 128 so 2^7 times 5 = 640 but thats no good?

2) now if i upload a 512x512 image, the NUMBER of square frames in the square sprite sheet is limited to square numbers of powers of 2?

so in a 512x512 texture, i can make 4 frames of 256x256 which is 2 times 2, or 16 frames of 128x128 which is 4 times 4, or 64 frames of 64x64 which is 8 times 8? so 4, 16, 64 etc (notice how 32 frames isnt an option because of the square-able nature in a square image)

sorry for all the math, i just want to know if im understanding correctly

0 Votes

C

Posted by “LestatDeLioncourt” on July 06, 2023.

[Archived]

Hi @FlexFactor​ I do believe we are still limited to 512x512 max size. This in turn is randomly resized to 256x512 or 512x256 with upload compression takes place. More on Pid=7619076.

I has said they *may* increase the max size on *some* items in the future. Also, you may check the Creator Education Center for more information on the "Power of Two".

I hope this helps.

0 Votes