[Archived - RickEros]

Posted about 2 months ago by Community

Post a topic
  • Topic is Locked
Un Answered
C
Community Admin

Posted by “RickEros” on February 15, 2022.

[Archived]

I'm finding the trick to shininess...

To create subtle shine, like that of a synthetic fabric, you set the reflectivity low, like I usually go between 5-10...then make sure your shiny map is more of a medium gray.

The low reflectivity makes the light subtle, not so deeply pinpointed. The medium gray shiny map keeps the light less white and more to the color tone of the item.

I'm also finding better results when I do not bring folds into the shiny map. When I just make it more solid and flat, and let the normal map handle the bumps/folds.

Overall, the end result IMO is more natural and less "plastic". Hope this helps.

0 Votes

6 Comments

Sorted by
C

Community posted about 2 months ago Admin

Posted by “RickEros” on February 25, 2022.

[Archived]

I was taking my "folds" that I'd put on a texture and using them in a shiny map, thinking somehow it would affect the lighting, or make some parts light/dark. Many times I just didn't like the result, so I just used a more simpler solid color or colors (shades of gray) on the shiny map and leave the folds on diffuse and normal. I know in the future, normal will do all the folds, but I'm still thinking about classic and thus I like having them on diffuse like we've normally done.

I also will darken the shiny map on spots I don't want light coming into easily. Usually the sides of a shirt and underarms.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “IsisLovella” on February 24, 2022.

[Archived]

@RickEros​  What do you mean by not bringing folds into the shiny map?

0 Votes

C

Posted by “DarkEminence” on February 21, 2022.

[Archived]

Normal maps are far mor important than shine maps. I recall my underlining that in another post, another forum, but will underline it again in here. Details come from the normal maps, and once those are used, a very subtle shine is already visible on any product. Shine maps are just for creating a reflective light from the product (of various degrees indeed, colour of map as well as provided sliders altering that considerably)- and there aren't so many things that need to shine - if we consider that the ultimate goal is to match reality in the used materials ( wood to look like wood, leather like leather etc. etc.).

Also normal maps ( depending where they are created, but certainly in gimp there is this option ) - can vary in the level of detail it provides. Here is a short tutorial about normal maps in gimp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Nd7yXuSgg

So my conclusion is - more normal maps, less shine ones.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “LestatDeLioncourt” on February 15, 2022.

[Archived]

@RickEros​ I played with this more last night and the part where you talked about Folds and Creases. I agree, it looks better to use the Normal Map instead of trying to make it with other options. I actually changed a mesh's look by doing this. Thanks for the inspiration. I learned something from exploring this "corner" LOL

It seems in the old client, we would use the vertex to try and draw out the impressions and shadows in a mesh. I don't know when I would use the Vertex anymore. IDK

0 Votes

C

Posted by “LestatDeLioncourt” on February 15, 2022.

[Archived]

I love the depth the Normal Maps add when properly done. I am exploring more and more how "deep" they can cut without looking overly done. They make things look so much more 3d :D

I think these Studio features will be making the Classic naturally obsolete. It looks so flat, now.

0 Votes

C

Posted by “Beauly” on February 15, 2022.

[Archived]

Thankyou for your sharing @RickEros​ 

0 Votes